Naperville Fertility Center is inspected by the Illinois Department of Public Health and licensed by the State of Illinois as an ambulatory surgical center. We are also accredited by the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF). In AAAASF accredited facilities, Patient Safety is First!
It is the mission of the AAAASF to develop and implement standards of excellence to ensure the highest quality of patient safety through an accreditation program. Accredited facilities and clinics have been inspected and have met 100% of the standards set by AAAASF for Accreditation.
Many IVF centers perform their procedures under anesthesia in a room in the doctor’s office. In some cases, these physicians are administering their own anesthesia or without the expertise of a board certified anesthesiologist. There is great concern regarding the use of intravenous sedating drugs on patients undergoing IVF procedures in non-accredited facilities. AAAASF accreditation assures proper credentials and strict requirements for safeguards prevent this scenario from happening!
AAAASF has designed an accrediting program to help provide patients with the assurance of safety and quality in all aspects of their outpatient surgery experience. To achieve this goal, every AAAASF-accredited ambulatory surgery facility must meet stringent national standards for equipment, operating room safety, personnel and surgeon credentials. The experts at AAAASF know that maintaining safety and quality in the ambulatory surgery facility is a dynamic process, requiring constant review and revision of standards to reflect the current state-of-the-art. As the leading accrediting organization, AAAASF has developed the systems to effectively monitor and implement the latest advances in outpatient care delivery advances that directly benefit patients.
AAAASF accreditation has been recognized as the Gold Standard for patient safety. The vast majority of ambulatory surgery facilities are not accredited, operating independently of any peer review and inspection process. Many private insurance carriers recognize accreditation by AAAASF for reimbursement of covered procedures.
All AAAASF accredited facilities must:
- comply with applicable local, state, and federal regulations including licensure, fire safety, sanitation and building codes for the protection of patients and medical personnel
- adhere to federal laws and regulations affecting their operation such as OSHA blood-borne pathogens standards, hazardous waste standards, the Americans with Disabilities Act and HIPAA
- utilize advanced instruments and monitoring devices for patient safety during surgery and in the recovery period
All individuals using the facility must meet one of the following criteria:
- A Doctor of Medicine certified or eligible for certification by one of the member boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS medical or surgical specialty)
- A Doctor of Osteopathy certified or eligible for certification by the American Osteopathic Association Bureau of Osteopathic Specialists (AOABS).
- A podiatrist certified or eligible for certification by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery (ABPS).
- An oral and maxillofacial surgeon certified or eligible for certification by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (ABOMS),
- Provide for the administration of general anesthesia, when appropriate, by a board-certified or board-eligible anesthesiologist or a certified registered nurse anesthetist.
- Other personnel assisting in surgery and providing care for the patient in the recovery room include specially-trained and certified surgical technicians, registered nurses, and licensed practical nurses.